Coffee is the 2nd most popular beverage next to water.
Not only that, but it is also the world’s 2nd top-selling product after oil.
But, if you’re environmentally conscious and want a sustainable coffee to sip in the morning, then you really need to go organic.
Organically-grown coffee like Nectar of Life Coffees, are free from chemicals and rich in flavor. Here are some reasons why you need to go with organic coffee.
- Unlike conventional coffees, organic coffees have more minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants that are needed by the body for several health benefits. Pure organic coffee can help protect yourself from cell damages, boost the immune system and energy, and enhances proper brain functioning.
- According to studies, farm chemicals such as insecticides, pesticides, fungicides, and herbicides can cause cancer and damages to the nervous and reproductive systems. Organic coffees don’t use these harmful chemicals, thus, preventing such health risks.
- Non-organic coffee is mostly grown with synthetic fertilizers and insecticides which can be very destructive to the environment. However, since organic coffees are grown within the shaded, lush forest, the eco-community within the forest assist them to flourish and grow better. Organic coffees use natural fertilizers such as compost, dead plant materials, and animal waste to grow.
- Organic coffee does not promote deforestation. They are grown in shaded areas, usually within lush forests, unlike conventional “hybrid” coffees that need sunlight to thrive, in which trees are cut down for a wide plantation area. And since conventional coffee plantation promotes deforestation, insect-deterrent wild animals such as birds and lizards are left without a home. This increases the number of coffee insects, thus, requiring farmers to use more pesticides. Thus, organic coffees help in the conversation of wildlife and the prevention of soil erosion.
Farmer and Community Benefits
- Farmers who produce certified organic coffee are often fair trade compliant, guaranteeing that they have a higher pay rate.
- Because organic coffees are grown without pesticides and synthetic fertilizers, farmers are not exposed to a high level of chemicals when growing and handling the crops. Furthermore, the surrounding communities don’t have to suffer from chemical residues in the air and water which can be toxic and dangerous to human health.
As you can see, organic coffee is better not only for yourself but also for the people who grow and produce and to the environment.
Want to read more? Click here!